DevSecOps, which you can read here by RedHat, is the direction that the industry is taking the DevOps role.
DevSecOps now a days balances the nature of many things, including:
- Preserving the culture of a team
- Maintaining stability of the underlying architecture
- Keeping the environment secure from the outside world and malicious actors.
- Automation to help speed up the business
It is, or is becoming, the role of the catchall. Responsibilities are becoming ever expanding. For instance, just in new features alone, DevSecOps will need to be on top of
- Implications to the security of the application
- How the behavior can affect environment resources or load.
- How the feature, if scaled, can impact things in the future.
- How to troubleshoot “worst case” scenarios.